Monday, December 12, 2005

It'll Just Blow Over.....

Thankfully, it appears the violent virus that had us in it's grip for the last week has FINALLY gone. This marks the first time that my children have been truly sick, and it scared the hooey out of me.

Here's the abbreviated version (to expand on Mama Duck's term)

"Poonami/Spewnami of Christmas '05":
Diarrhea starts; 24 hours later: vomitting that lasts for 36 very long hours; about 18 hours into the throwing up comes the high fever that doesn't respond to Tylenol lasting for 24-36 hours; then a couple more upchucks to make sure there's really nothing left, and then the fever breaks.
A week later? we're still dealing with the south pole....

We watched our already thin Critter go gaunt, sunken-eyed, and hollow-cheeked in a matter of hours. Both boys had fevers that made their eyes bloodshot, their cheeks crimson, and their skin searing to the touch. Their hands still feel papery and dry. I cried with the Critter as he stumbled out of his bed crying, trying to get to the cup of water that we had to ration during the worst of it. Little Bit lost 6 pounds, Critter lost 8.




Nothing is worse than looking into your sick child's eyes that plead "make it better", and be completely helpless.

We steam cleaned the carpet in the den 3 times between Monday and Wednesday evening, and finally gave up. I couldn't keep up, and decided to just wait until this thing had passed. Our house is currently a biohazard.

The good news? The boys are ok now, Princess Lulu, Daddy McAustin, and I all seemed to have dodged the bullet, and our sickness quota has been met for this holiday season!

(That sound you hear? It would be me knocking on wood and crossing my fingers.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

oh poor babies. That is awful I am so glad they are finally feeling better.

I am glad you, Daddy McAustin and the Princess dodged it. I will knock on wood with you!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

That is horrible, glad to hear they are on the mend. My nephew started with similar symptoms last night - vomitting, fever, and I felt so totally awful that there was nothing I could do to make him feel better. Hopefully he won't get as bad as they did. Glad the rest of the family avoided it.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

I was wondering if the baby was OK.

Glad you guys are on the road to recovery.

NIIIIIIIIIIIIICE play on words with spewnami...

7:47 PM  
Blogger Kami said...

GAWD! That is a lot of weight for those little people to lose! Time to make some milkshakes! ;)

Glad it has passed. Poor babies.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Toss salt over your shoulder and spit twice too. You so just jinxed yourself.

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home