Thursday, January 12, 2006

Isn't It De-Lovely?

I've been super-busy with a church volunteer project that Daddy McAustin and I are heading up, and haven't had time to do much computering not relating to "brochure development" or org charts in excel. Other than the few surreptitious moments I can browse my blogroll whilst feeding Lulu, not much goin' on. But, alas, one-handed typing is definitely not my forte, so I am not able to comment as much as I would like.

But in honor of National Delurking Week I will comment on every single blog I visit today. Won't you also? I would love to hear from all you folks who stop by but don't comment regularly. (I know you're there....yeah, YOU! You can't hide from the Statcounter....)

Now, more on the topic of the day....Responding.
As I mentioned above, we are in charge of a large event in the life of our church, the Annual All Church Retreat. Our church is fairly large, and there will be anywhere from 350-600 people attending this event the last week in April. As you can imagine, an event of this magnitude requires a sizable team of people to organize it. I started recruiting Steering Committee members waaaayyy back in May of last year. These early invitations went to 25+ people who had stated they would be willing to help with the event on last year's eval form.

Response? Zero.

We attrubuted the lack of interest to end of the schoolyear/summer vacations ahead/ etc. We then sent out another round of invites (to the same list with added names) in September and again in October.

Response? One.

Now, I have had my fair share of volunteering, as well as more volunteer organizing than I care to remember. I understand how it works: the people who volunteer are always the ones being asked to do the work for everything. I get that it gets old to be on everyone's list of 'people to contact'. But here's my point: Respond. Whether your are going to say "Yes! I'd love to take on the biggest job you have!", or "No, I've been diagnosed with brain cancer and won't even be able to attend this year, sorry." Either way the person doing the inviting at least deserves a response. Don't you think? It's just rude not to.

We have found some fabulous souls who have stepped up to the challenge and signed on to the Steering Committee, and I'm certain they will do a wonderful job. I'm also certain you will be hearing more about this task in the future, as there are still slots to be filled......

So de-lurk, won't you? It's just rude not to, don't you think?

10 Comments:

Blogger Speckledpup said...

Hey Mama.
I read you everyday.

Happy Delurking week.
The Pup.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I read you and comment almost as much just about every day if not every other day. You make-uh me laugh.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

I'm here!:)

11:13 AM  
Blogger Kami said...

I'm commenting everywhere so that I don't get my booty kicked.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

I always try to comment when I stop by. I agree that they should at least respond. It's just as tacky as not RSVPing to a party. Geez people - manners - it only takes a few seconds. tsk...tsk... :)

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Church... Cute Pastor. Good Luck with that project.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

I know that church and it's HUGE and everyone seems VERY involved. I'm surprised that you didn't get more of a response. Hmmmmmmm...

1:39 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I stop by regularly. Found you through "mean coffee".That girl really makes me laugh.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Leska McCall said...

Kami, Pup, Renee, SFG, thanks! you all make my comment world keep turning!
Anon - I think I know who you are!!!

Mama Duck - Maybe no one likes us....
Or maybe it's b/c it's a really big job.
I hope the latter:)

1:44 PM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Darn blogger has been giving me problems all day. I am finally able to comment. No lurking from this girl. I try to comment everyday!

Loving hearing about your adorable family and what you have to say!

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home