Friday, December 30, 2005

T-I-R-E-D

Sing along with me, won't you? The tune's "Bingo"

T-I-R.E.D.
T-I-R.E.D.
T-I-R.E.D.
And Mama was her name-o!
Apparently I have just exactly enough energy to give birth to a baby the first weekend in November, get through Thanksgiving with marginal success, and then limp weakly through the finish line of Christmas.
And now?
I want to lie down, curl up into a small ball, and die. (But not as small a ball as it would have been pre-Princess Lulu. GRRRRR.)
The fact that I 've been up since the baby's 4 a.m. feeding due to a cold isn't helping. The fact that this child isn't sleeping through the night yet isn't helping. (Apologies to all you moms out there who have mobile ones who aren't there yet, but my boys both slept a solid 8 hours starting at 9 weeks, and I got very used to getting good sleep every night. The two months of Lulu's life on the outside coupled with the 4 months of in utero sleep deprivation are taking their toll. HARD.) The fact that I still have all those decorations to take down and store isn't helping. The fact that the china and crystal from Christmas dinner are still waiting to be put away isn't helping. The fact that the only clothing options I can cobble together which fit anywhere near properly consist of some combination of track pants and t-shirts isn't helping.
And I just got a good look in the mirror, and realized that I can't remember the last time I plucked my eyebrows. And girlfriend went through the line twice the day God handed those out.
I remember when I was in high school, and would be out late, and then would have to get up early. I thought I was tired then. I was wrong. I remember being a full-time college student working two jobs. I thought I was tired then, and I was wrong. I remember working full time at an actual-job-with-benefits and being in grad school every night. I thought I was tired then. I was wrong, so so very wrong.
Tired is when it's mentally taxing to calculate when the child will eat again. Just add 3 hours you say? My brain is having trouble just doing that. Tired is when you forget, say, half the people on your Christmas list, and then it occurs to you, say, the day before New Year's Eve. (If you're one of those folks, I'm so sorry; I suck. They'll be happy New Year gifts.) Tired is when you read someone else's post saying that their wish for Christmas is a hotel voucher for a 3 night stay in a single occupancy room and thinking "Yes! Yes! That's the perfect gift!"
Am.so.very.tired.
In light of this I have concluded that babies should not be born in the months of November & December. There should be some biological blocker that prevents conception in February and March.
I'm going to go take a nap now, and when I get back, maybe I'll have enough energy to do the post-Christmas update, because? HOLY CHRISTMAS, BATMAN did these kids hit the jackpot this year!
I'll be back.

(The music choice is ironic, no? It's meant for the post-Christmas post.)

4 Comments:

Blogger The Q said...

Take care of yourself!! Hope 2006 brings you sleep. Lots and LOTS of sleep.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Kami said...

Oh, poor thing. I know. I'm sorry. I'm so happy to have my little sleeping man. Ugh. Poor you. Surely Daddy McA knows how to put the china up, no?

9:59 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

I'm dying about the eyebrows.

Know what I found to be the most useless piece of information contained in all child-rearing books, "When you are exhausted use your resource and get a family member to come over and relieve you."

Bwahahahahahahaha...whoever wrote that probably got fired.

Happy new year. I had a five week old for Christmas two years ago...you'll live, but might not get to keep all of your brain cells.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

Oh man, I SOOO know how tired you are! Our little bugger would sleep for an hour and a half at a time at night (if we were lucky).
There is no tired like the tired of a baby keeping you up all night and still having to take care of the kids during the day.
Starbucks can be your bestfriend!

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home