Wednesday, January 18, 2006

WBW: What Was I Thinking?

Welcome to Way Back Wednesday, the day where Mama Duck asks us to dig through the past to find pictures of ourselves in compromising positions. Well, not always, but today she wants to see:
"pictures of you doing something stupid or alternatively something that you thought was cool at the time but you look back and think WTF?"

I must say that being a child of the '80s I have TONS of fodder in the fashion category. So much so that I couldn't pick just one, so I will instead go with something from my more recent past.

Daddy McAustin's co-worker's wedding in 2000. Daddy McAustin's co-worker's wedding for which the groom didn't think he needed to hire a caterer. I, being a girl and loving all things matrimonial, could not stand to see this poor girl's reception turn into the sad, disorganized, embarrassing spectacle which it would have become had we not stepped up...that afternoon...when we arrived at the wedding....AS GUESTS.

Behold, the "catering" team:

All guests, all friends of the groom.

We were so tired, and just as we were getting ready to leave (and leave the cleanup to someone else), the mother of the bride came up to me and stated that there weren't anymore forks for the cake. I looked at her blankly. She proceeded to suggest that I dig through the trash to retrieve some, and then wash them up quickly so the GUESTS would have something to eat their cake with. I replied that maybe she should ask her daughter's attendants (who were supposed to be handling the reception) to complete that task, and then walked out the door. We didn't even get any cake.

I will say that it turned out fine, and that we got a very nice thank-you gift from the happy couple later.

Moral of the Story: Mind your own business and let the chips fall where they may.......and ALWAYS hire a caterer. (In reality though? I would do the same thing over again.....No one deserves to have their special day ruined if there's something that can be done:))

11 Comments:

Blogger Nap Queen said...

Oh my, you are much nicer than I ever could be :) That was a really bad mistake on their part!! And dig forks outta the trash? Sheesh...no way. I played!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Jana said...

Wow, you deserve a medal!

I played!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Kami said...

Wow. Go you!!

10:27 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

You did all that and the bride's mother had the nerve to say that to you? Tacky, tacky!!! She should have been kissing your feet!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Spikey1 said...

I would have ordered pizza! Way to go!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

I'd have shoved her face in the second layer of the cake. What a bitch.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dig forks out of the trash to recycle? Ummmm...bwahahahaha. I probably would have started laughing and then realized she was serious.

I'm dumb like that.

Seriously, you are a great friend, I'm sure they're thankful to this day for your generosity (and the fact that you DIDN'T pick the forks out of the trash!).

2:13 PM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Oh goodness.

That was not very nice of the mother of the bride!WOW

6:03 PM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

oh and I played!

6:04 PM  
Blogger Tina M said...

That was a very sweet and wonderful thing that you did. The mother of the Bride seemed like a snobby you know what! Didn't she know that you were just a guest trying to help out???

6:07 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Wow, I'm not sure I'd have married a guy who didn't want a caterer! LOL

Great post - I played!

12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home