Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Consumer

And now for something completely different...

sale3


There are those who will tell you that the place to buy retail is New York City, L.A., Paris, or London. They are wrong. The retail capital of the world is Dallas, Texas. There are more retail offerings per capita in the DFW metroplex than anywhere else in the world. If you can't find it, and find it cheap, in Dallas, you have no hope of finding it anywhere. I'm not what would traditionally be called a shopper, I don't just go to browse, and I don't buy that often. If I need something, I look for the best deal and buy it, and in Big D that was really easy. When we moved from Dallas to Austin, I had to readjust my shopping expectations, as there just isn't the volume or variety here. Consequently, whenever I visit I have a list of stops I must make before coming home to Austin. Since the ICU visiting hours ran with 2 hour gaps throughout the day, I found myself with time to burn, so what's a girl to do? Shop, of course.
Following are the highlights of my hunt.

Off Price Shoes is the greatest place ever. Actually, it's vaguely dingy and always crowded, but the prices can't be beat. At the most expensive, all shoes are $9.99, and the sales are just insanity. They are currently having their end-o-summer clearance....all shoes $4.99. For $35 I got the seven (!) pair in the photo. And they're cute. Many of the shoes they carry could be described as.......eccentric....but many are really cute.

Ladies with littles: the Kelly's Kids Outlet is closing in December. It's a sad, sad day in children's wear bargain hunting. Everything in the store is $5.99. I got several adorable outfits and dresses for Lulu for next summer, but they didn't have much in 3-4 boys. The selection is much better in larger sizes for boys, but I hate to buy too far in advance for them, they spurt so weird. The clearance just started last Wednesday, but word will spread fast. If you live in the area, get there ASAP.

Chocolate Soup is having their 40th anniversary sale on top of their annual summer clearance. Everything in the store is green-priced, which is 1/3 to 1/2 of regular price, then on top of that all spring/summer stuff is an additional 66% off, and fall items are an additional 40% off. I got tons of stuff for the boys there for cool weather, as well as for next summer. The most expensive thing I bought was a madras plaid short/polo shirt set (with hat!) for $16. I got some polo shirts for $2.25. I love CS. If you love good prices on unique stuff, that's the place to go.

I didn't have time to make it to Sam Moon, but my friend got a really great purse that looks alarmingly similar to a Birkin bag for $12.99. Next time.

This concludes the McAustin Shopping Update.
Have a wonderful day.
Go shopping!

12 Comments:

Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Oh I went shopping last night but not on a big shopping spree just bought a cute pair of shoes for the fall/winter!

Ah I love a good bargain!

8:43 AM  
Blogger It's a Fantastic Life said...

I love the sandals! Very cute! I want to go shopping in Dallas too.

9:02 AM  
Blogger Cara said...

Love the sandals! I LOVE Chocolate Soup! That store has been there forever and a day. My mom used to buy a lot of my clothes there when I was little. Don't even get me started on Sam Moon! Love that store! There's a new bigger one too in Frisco near Stonebriar mall. I like that better than having to go to the ghetto to get your knockoff handbags :)

When I lived in Dallas (my whole life, essentially) I never really fancied myself as a shopper. But now that I'm in Austin I miss all those stores. I guess I always took them for granted. :(

9:26 AM  
Blogger Fabnormal said...

Love love love those shoes!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

We do not have chocolate soup. What is that?

9:50 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Yet another reason to come to Dallas for BB in October. Shoes, mmmmmm.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Kim Tracy Prince said...

Your photography is gorgeous!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

So jealous of your shoes!

12:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Man I am jealous. I am a shopaholic and I LOVE those kind of bargains. Awesome shoes especially!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Kami said...

I know. Dallas has EVERYTHING.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so jealous.

As you can imagine there's not much of a call for a shopping mecca in the Land of Snow and Cheese.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Those shoes are awesome! They look like they belong here in Miami.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home