Thursday, August 04, 2005

Stuff Portrait Friday: OCD

Yes, it's that time again! Kristine asked us to bring our obsessions and compulsions into the glaring light of the blogging public. Onward to the looney bin.....

1. Hello, my name is MMC, and I am a habitual organizer.... Here is just one example of the sickness I have. Open any drawer, closet, cupboard, and you will find similar examples. If things aren't organized I start to drool and have tics. It's really not pretty.....but my drawers are.

2. Hello, my name is MMC, and I obsess about what my children eat.(We were out when they ate dinner last night, so I had to dig up an old picture.)
I know that when they leave my control my perfect angels will consume all manner of fiber-deficient, partially-hydrogented, carcinogenic, nutritionally-void swill, so I consider it my duty to do my best to give them a good foundation in what healthy eating is all about.

3. Hello, my name is MMC, and the BABY MONITOR gives me anxiety.
You know you've been there. You wake up in the middle of the night, it's dark and all is quiet.....or so you thought. You look over to the monitor and see those evil red orbs glowing, if only for an instant. You hear that tiny rustle and then a soft sigh. Your heartbeat quickens, and your mind races down the road of what-the-rest-of-the-night-and-all-day-tomorrow-will-be-like-if-that-child-wakes-up-and-I-have-to-go-in-there.I can't get back to sleep until I feel certain that the kids are asleep also.


So what's your issue? Be sure to go check out Kristine's OCDs and tell her if you played. It's quite therapeutic.....now if you'll excuse me, the monitor is lit up like a Christmas tree, I have to go fix the organic scrambled eggs, whole wheat toast, and non-GMO fresh fruit for breakfast, and then I have a full morning of restoring order to the office supply drawer. Happy Friday!

15 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

I've missed the last couple SPFs, but I'll try to tonight!

I totally know what you mean about the monitor. Ugh, sometimes I hate that thing! I wake up at every flippin' noise!!

6:46 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Dang it i didn't post this week because i couldn't think of anything. now i am thinking of stuff!ARGHHHHHlol

7:39 AM  
Blogger Kami said...

I feel you on the food thing, but I promise, you will soon lose control. It totally sucks. So, he doesn't get enough veggies (not for lack of offering), but he at least hasn't tried a soda, and he hasn't eaten at McDonald's!! ;)

8:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I organize sometimes...I love it. But not habitually. And I am so not obsessed with what my kid eats. I do think he eats pretty healthy, but I keep trying to forcefeed him french fries and he won't have it. No organic anything for my kids! And I am very proud to say that the monitor gives me no anxiety, except when SOMEONE turned it down too low or off and I don't realize it until much later. That kinda freaks me out. But my kid is an awesome sleeper and once he's down for the night, there's no goin in.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Leska McCall said...

Yes, my kids ARE great sleepers, but there are those rare times....just wait til the night terrors start...it's really disturbing. I can count the times I've had to go in on two hands over 2.5 yrs, but it's still something I listen for. Esp. now that I know I NEED the sleep so much more....

10:12 AM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Whoa.

I think I got a little *too* excited at the shot of the socks.

I'm a Virgo and we likes organization. Now, if you just had some baskets or bins to sort of the different types/colors...

10:15 AM  
Blogger xtessa said...

argh on kids and food, yes?! believe me, mine's seven and it's all-out war sometimes... *sigh*

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally get the organized drawer thing, but I do it with folded towels in the linen closet.

11:59 AM  
Blogger c said...

1. My husband would love for you to come over and kick my ass into organization shape. It's just my hanging clothes that get my attention.

2. Here's how I found balance, because I had several friends who weren't allowed any non-healthy food AT ALL and who later struggled SO HARD with binging and weight issues (once they were in control of what they ate): They can have junk food, but they have to eat something healthy first (I'm only talking snacks here, not meals). Once they've had the healthy snack, 99% of the time they're not hungry for the junk. But on those rare times they are, I let them. Everything in moderation, and I'm not ever going to worry that they're hiding food or getting the junk on the sly. See this website for Good Intentions Gone Bad: http://tracymanford.typepad.com/tracy/

3. I put away the baby monitors once the kids were sleeping through the night on a regular basis. Otherwise, no sleep for me. I sleep SO lightly that even the lights would wake me up! Plus, our bedrooms are pretty close together and no carpeting makes for echo chambers, hence I can hear them if they need me.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Strizz said...

I played, is it wrong that after the first kid I chucked the monitor out the window?

12:44 PM  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

I want an organization obsession. please. trade ya?

12:54 PM  
Blogger Vajana said...

1. Okay, we are setting up an appointment for you to travel here to organize my schtuff. Seriously.
2. I was chastised by a friend when I'd told her my 3-year-old had never had a Cheeto. "Let them be kids". Of course now they're 8 and 5 and have had any junk food possible, but at least they know what is healthy and they are very good about it. (but take away chicken nuggets and take away their livelihood.)

3. Baby monitors are almost as bad as the bathroom scale sometimes. I did the same at Strizz and got rid of it by baby #2.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

I like misfit's idea about eating the healthy food first then junk food.
And I totally ditched our baby monitor because my child will cry loud enough for you to hear her across the whole house if she needs you!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Leska McCall said...

I knew I would get ripped up over this stuff!!!
I'm really not a freak about the food. I'm careful about what I give them at home, b/c I know they eat crap out in the world. My kids eat ice cream...just not all the time.
If you've seen my first SPF, then you know my house was designed by a moron....or maybe we're the morons b/c we bought it? There are two sides, two separate staircases. Our br is on the opp. side 1 1/2 floors above my kids. Carpet, people! Hate it, but it's what's here. Sound gets muffled...the monitor stays for better or for worse.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

My Anti-Partially-Hydrogenated-Soybean-Oil friend!!!!

Wait until your kids are old enough to ask you, "Mom, does this have harshly-vita-soy-in-it?"

Cracks me up!!!!

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home