Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Way Back Wednesday:Bad Hair

I didn't get to play The Kept Woman's WBW last week due to the phone line problems, but I'm back this week.
Bad Hair. Hmmmm. So much to choose from.
I could have posted the pic from the '80s with the mile-high bangs (MANY to choose from there), or the one with the Mary Lou Retton cut (truly sad), but I thought I would give you the "piece de resistance" - but I can't find the photo! So, I'll give you this to give you an idea of what it looked like.


Yep. I decided that my naturally strawberry blond hair needed a bit more oomph, and thought it would look great just a little bit redder. I thought 'how hard can it be?'
Before a New Year's Eve party.
A party that was also first date.
WHEN I WAS 23!
Yes, old enough to supposedly know better, and definitely the only date with that guy.

I ended up with traffic-cone-orange hair. The style was actually decent, but I was a walking freak show. I called my mom in tears, she kept saying that I must be exaggerating, it couldn't be as bad as I thought, and then proceeded to VISIBLY RECOIL when she saw it.

Yes. Exactly. That. Bad.

I had to go to my salon and explain to my stylist (mortifying) what happened and BEG for an appt. to make it better. The colorist did a temp. rinse that darkened it just enough that it didn't GLOW anymore. I and had to have my hair stripped later in the week. I had hay for hair for about 3 months after that....and wore a lot of hats.

Moral of the story: NEVER take advice from a grocery store cosmetics counter clerk about do-it-yourself color.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mama Duck said...

HILARIOUS! Now, I have to go ahead and comment...what in the heck made you think that a grocery store cosmetics clerk would be a good one to take advice from? She probably failed out of cosmetology school and that's why she was working at HEB!

So glad you played!!! :)

2:35 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Okay, that was funny! I'm sure at the time you didn't think so, but I laughed out loud because of it.

Didn't you tell your mom that she's not supposed to Recoil like that??

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home