Friday, September 02, 2005

Anger....

I can't stand it any longer. I have been vascilating between tears and extreme anger, and now the anger is taking over.

I listened to Mayor Nagin express his outrage at the lack of help his city is receiving.
I listened to the Governors of AL, MS, & LA tell about all the things that are being done now, but mostly about what happened.
I listened to the various news agencies spin the story from 'rainbows and sunshine' (guess which one), to total doom.

My questions are these:
Why wasn't there any ACTION BEFORE KATRINA HIT?
Why weren't the requests for buses to evacuate the impoverished cities/rural areas made prior to the hurricane.

I feel certain the governors, FEMA, Pres. Bush, mayors knew the situation in their cities.
They are all acting as if this is some big surprise, when it was totally predictable.
I feel certain those officials are intimately aware of the impoverished nature of their citizens on their best day.
If you know your people don't have the means to get themselves out, I think it's your responsibility to do something about it on their behalf. That's the point of public office.

At this point, so late in the game, I think the agencies, Nat'l Guard, etc. probably ARE doing the best they can, but it's an immensely uphill battle.

Hindsight is 20/20 they say, but it's just insanity to not act on your foresight when so much is at stake.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl! spoken like a true Democrat - Yes - govt. is supposed to be there to help those who cannot do it alone. But FEMA etc. cannot act until authorized by the president - and he was busy vacationing!
But if we are really talking about foresight - I want to know each and every person who voted against the funding to reinforce and repair the levees in New Orleans in our last congretional session. I don't care what party they claim, it's time to clean house!
M-N-Little D

1:06 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

I love how they are all on the news talking about "Oh, we are doing all we can. We are sending in these supplies and these people."


HELLOOO. It's FRIDAY! This happened on Monday. What the hell took you so long?

1:13 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Wanna think of something equally as f'd? For years they claim CA is going to fall into the ocean...are things being done on a grand scale to prevent the erosion?

Ummmm, nope. Unless you count driving oceanside real estate prices through the roof "doing something" I think not.

Bad news in NO and maybe in CA in the future. Dang it though, does that mean even more Califiornians are going to take over MoPac? Geez...

1:17 PM  
Blogger Tee/Tracy said...

Well Said! I am usually not a proponet for curse words and disrespect towards others (especially the President) - but I think the mayor is rightfully outraged and frustrated for his people.

I hate when people say "They deserved it. The evacuation was mandatory".... Some of these people just couldn't afford a night on the road or at a hotel. I know if we'd have had to do it we'd had to of put it all on the credit card. Some of these people don't even have that to rely on. Many more are very old people. How are they going to get themselves out?... And hospital staff, police officers, etc - they can't go...

No one deserved what happend... except maybe the idiot looters/rapist ********* who are causing havoc in an already chaotic situation.

1:22 PM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

I am so angry about this too!!
We are so willling to help out other countries in need... What the f about our OWN country?!?
Bush sucks

2:00 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

I'm still steamed that they KNEW
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/editorial/outlook/3335758 this was a likely outcome if a hurricane hit and yet they had no plan how to execute the mandatory evacuation. They should have been rounding people up over the weekend and putting them on buses or trains and setting up better temporary shelters. I also agree that if we don't need authorization for the federal gov to send help for tsunami victims we shouldn't need it for our own people!

2:45 PM  
Blogger SuburbanMom said...

Just wanted to say I can related to your blog...I have a 4 year old, a 3 year old and a 1 year old (all boys :)

I'm bookmarking you :)

10:13 PM  
Blogger Piece of Work said...

I know. I am trying so hard to not let the anger take over, and to try to believe in the goodness of people and the administration--but in the face of all this, I am just left with the question: Why?

And don't try to tell me that if Katrina had hit the New England coastline (i.e. wealthy NY suburbs), there wouldn't have been a swift and effecient response.

And Bush is joking about Trent Lott's house today, and how they are going to rebuild it? I want to vomit!!

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home