Thursday, September 01, 2005

SPF: Load Up the Trunk with the Dishes & Drinks, We're Headed to the Babysitter's!


This week For Stuff Portrait Friday we've been dropped off at Babysitter Renee's, and told to mind our manners while Mama Kristine is playing hostess to RSG & Pissy Britches. Miss Renee asked for the following:

Favorite Alcholic Beverage
The trunk of our vehicle
A place setting of our dishes

1. Since I'm "in the family way" I don't consume much alcohol these days, but am sooo looking forward to becoming cyber-drunk on all the other oh-so-tasty beverages you all come up with. Here's my current OB-approved fav:
A Chocolate malt made with a TON of malt, Hershey's syrup, and Blue Bell Natural Vanilla Bean ice cream. Pure heaven. Lately I can't seem to get enough milk (no really, like a gallon every 3 days, for just me), so this is one more weapon in my arsenal to sate the dairy devil that's growing in my belly.
2. I don't officially have a "trunk", I have a "cargo area". Once again, I will probably get yelled at for driving one of these monstrosities, but here are my reasons. Deal. The back of the 'Burban looks like this most of the time. We've currently misplaced the lovely tri-fold, compact double stroller, so this is the one I'm stuck with for all outings, not just off-road. I love the fact that I don't have to completely break it down by taking off the wheels for it to fit, and still allow for room for other stuff. (Oh yes grasshopper, I can still fit a lot more back there!) The mesh box always has 1 diaper bag, 1 emergency supplies kit, 1 extra adult t-shirt, 2 sets of extra kid clothes, one 6'x6' beach towel, 4 hats, and 1 golf umbrella. Currently, there are 2 empty propane tanks hiding behind the box which you can't see.
(In light of recent events, I've added some extras to the standard emergency kit: water filtration tablets, solar blanket, poncho, switched from a quart to a gallon of water. I'm sure I'll keep thinking of other stuff to put in. Have you thought how you'll update yours?)
3. The dishes we use every day are pretty standard.
What I like about them is that all food looks good against the white, and the dishes look good against pretty much any placemats or table cloth. My MIL (hi, Nana!) went to a dozen different stores to complete the set of 12 for us. We've used it all day, every day for over 5 years, and have only broken 2 pieces.
These are the dishes we use for special occasions.
Our china...
My mother and grandmother's china.
If we have a really large group (more than 12) for a formal meal or celebration, then I can mix place settings of these together and they look great, kind of funky and bohemian, but still classy.
And last up is the "Family Celebration Plate".
I got this idea from a gal in our Sunday school class, and a couple of girlfriends and I went to our local paint-your-own-pottery shack and each made one for our families. If it's your birthday, or you got promoted, or learned to do something really great, this plate is yours for the meal. We've had it less than a year, and we've already used it quite a bit: the boys' & Daddy McAustin's birthdays, Mother's & Father's day, and our anniversary.
Did you play? If so, leave me a comment and go check out the babysitter's stuff to let her know you played, too. She'll leave you a really great comment, I promise! Happy Weekend. Go volunteer somewhere.

13 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

great pics!!!!! :)

and yes, i played... :)

peace...

1:41 AM  
Blogger Bente said...

Yummo! The milkshake sounds good. I won't yell at you for driving a SUV, I just feel bad for you about how much you have to spend on fuel! The special family plate is very cute. Great idea!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Me likes all the dishes!

When i was pregnant with my daughter i loved chocolate milk and also getting blizzards from Dairy Queen. It's a surprise i didn't gain more than the 30lbs i gained!lol

8:01 AM  
Blogger Me said...

I love your grandmother's dishes! Beautiful!!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

I like your everyday set with the dots - so cute. And the special plate is a great idea.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

My goodness! You are one prepared little lady! My survival kit in my trunk? An empty miller lite cooler that I can fill with beer to make it all better. :) Love the special plate idea. :)

11:05 AM  
Blogger The Q said...

I love your "special" plate! I'd use it everyday...you know, becuase I *AM* special everyday! :-)

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am not going to yell at you for the SUV because I have one and can't live without it. I have far, far too many children, and try as I might, I just can't do the minivan thing. Anyway, I love your special plate. I think I'll take the kids to paint pottery soon, and make one myself!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, chocolate malt. Yum.

Yum.

Yum.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

You are one prepared lady. Let me ask you two things.
1. How often do you get in your emergency mesh box? Maybe I need to do one of these too.
2. what kind of double jogger do you have?? I'm searchin for a good one.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Leska McCall said...

Hi, everyone. In answer to Lum's questions:

I get in the ER box surprisingly often. There are always diapers, pbcrackers, jumper cables, flashlight, extra batteries, matches, first aid stuff, ziploc gallon bags, a couple of trash bags. I once got stranded for 4 hours waiting for a tow with a dead battery while the kids were with me, and that taught me to have some bare necesseties always on hand. I think I used it all that day. Usu just take one thing or another, though.

As for the stroller....
It's the cheap InStep one from Target.com that was delivered directly to my doorstep! Actually I did a TON of research on this thing, because we live in a somewhat rugged area, and use it all terrain, as well as running with it. This one seemed to be the most comfy-looking-at-a-price-that-won't-jeopardize-the-college-funds-while-still-being-quality-w/big wheels. I love it. We use it more than any other stroller we have....and the huge basket rocks.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Vajana said...

oh such fancy dishes! I love those special plates, my cousin had one as a kid and I was so jealous! Now my daughter made me one for Mother's day this year and I use it constantly.

And your last post about fed gov response was FANTASTIC. God, we are in some serious trouble, eh?

Has Nero, I mean, George, finally realized he is not a defeated man?

11:42 PM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

What a great you are special plate. I love mine. I posted it as well.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home