Thursday, August 11, 2005

Stuff Portrait Friday: Get Your Motor Runnin'.....

Well, crud.....I was really looking forward to this week's SPF theme brought to us by, as always, Kristine.
It's been a very busy few days. The Grande McAustin's are here taking care of Critter and Little Bit during the day while Daddy McAustin and I attend the Willow Creek Leadership Summit, a truly amazing experience, but I'll write a separate post about that when it's over.
It's a quarter of 10 pm, pitch black, and I just now got around to checking out what our task is for tomorrow. So, stand-in pictures will have to do.....
1. My Ride....
This is a pic I got off ebay.....but mine's just like it, and I love it. Yes, I know it's environmentally irresponsible; yes, I know I personally am probably singlehandedly depleting the ozone layer with its noxious emissions, but you know what? I don't care! Actually, I care DEEPLY, but I have two toddlers, and all their peripheral crap to cart around, a new baby on the way, plus a 130 pound dog, and the various backpacking/cycling/swimming equipment that comes with living in this great outdoor recreation area. We TRULY NEED a massive vehicle, and this one is fabulous. It seats 7 adults comfortably, has cushy leather quad captain chairs, 2 DVD screens, and a small bedroom's worth of cargo room. Hate me if you will, but I LOVE my 'Burban.

2. One mile away from my house....This may not be quite a mile, but it's close. These are shots of the greenbelt that runs through our neighborhood along Barton Creek where we like to take the kids hiking and mountain biking. About a mile down the trail is Sculpture Falls, which is very pretty and a great place to wade. About a mile further than that is Campbell's Hole, which is wonderful for taking a dip. I didn't get shots of the actual part that goes behind our house, because a) it's pitch black now, and b) I was too lazy to walk down there in the 100 degree heat earlier.

3.Why I love the place I live. This was a hard one. There are so many reasons to love my neighborhood: great community, non-existent crime rate, beautiful parks, lovely greenbelt running just behind my backyard. But the one thing I get the most pleasure from every day would be the view from my kitchen windows. They are just above the sink, so I can look out and see the view whilst doing dishes, unloading the dishwasher, washing lettuce, etc. (Hey, Kristine, did you catch that seamless use of the nifty Amy word?)
Again....this is semi-cheating. This wasn't shot from my window, but rather from my church, which is where I was when it was daylight and had a camera handy. But the view is basically the same. This is on the western edge of West Lake Hills looking west. The sunsets are usually spectacular, and I'm sorry I don't have a pic of that to share.
There you have it. It's now 9:40 p.m. on Friday, and I'm probably the last person to post for SPF, but I got it done. Maybe I will have provided you with something new to check out over the weekend, since no one ever posts until Monday.

7 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

What nice scenery and i really like your ride!:-)

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Scenery!
You are one of the few people who do seem to Need a big vehicle. Camping and Rec equipment and little ones mean one brave mother.
It's the ones who have one divorced fellow talking on his cell phone and driving the 'cargo ship' that really bother me!

7:37 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

awesome pics...it looks like its pretty peacefull there...too cool...

and we had a 'burban too...however, now we have and expedition...but its still in the same boat...lol...

peace...

11:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My church is hosting the Willow Creek Leadership Summit too! But I didn't go. :( Maybe next time. It looked cool. Pretty area you have there.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Oh what a beautiful area you live in! I can see why you love where you live. I'd love to have a nice trail for cycling and walking so nearby.

4:33 PM  
Blogger kimmyk said...

Nice peaceful area you live in. Very pretty. I could sit on that lil stream all day and dream....very nice!

6:00 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Barton Creek Blvd., I'd know it anywhere!!! We used to live in the apartments past all of the million dollar homes on it!

Oh, you're getting spam too. ICK!!!

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home