Thursday, September 29, 2005

Stuff Portrait Friday: Ryan's Song

Or "Been There Awhile", "Broken, But Redeemed", and "Blech!"
Welcome to Casa McAustin's weekly installment of Stuff Portrait Friday, an oh-so-fun little game sponsored and engineered by the lovely Kristine at Random and Odd. She gives us a list, and we are to scurry around taking photos of those items. This week's theme came from the young mind of Stepson Ryan:


1. Something in your house that isn't where it should be.

2. Something you broke, but kept it.

3. Food that you have in your house that you never eat (or drink)


One of last week's players inspired me to try to do a better job with the quality of photography for these installments, but that requires extra effort, and of course I encountered obstacles...it seems to be the theme of my week. First the 'good camera' was having flash issues, and secondly it takes prior planning and time investment, both of which I seem to be sorely short of lately. Here's the best I could do with what I had to work with:

Something In The House Where It Shouldn't Be:


Melted Candle Wax on the Dining Table

That would be the candle wax residing on my dining room table since a dinner party we had about.......well, let's just say a really long time ago. For the last several meals in that room I've used a tablecloth or strategically-placed trivets, but now my secret's out. I've just never taken the time to research out the best way to remove it without damaging the finish on the table. Any suggestions? (And yes, I know by leaving the wax for so long, it's probably damaged the finish on it's own, so please don't include that in your advice, ok? thanks.)

Something that broke, but you kept it anyway

My right wrist. Broken three times.

Ages 4, 8, 13. It didn't seem such a good option to get rid of it completely even though it's obviously defective. (For those of you visually snappy folks in SPFland, yes it's really a shot of my left wrist; I'm right handed, and don't possess the coordination to manipulate the camera with only the left.)

Food In The House That We Never Eat or Drink

Jones Soda Company's Sugar-Free Green Apple Soda

The SF Black Cherry version they make is sooooo yummy, caffeine free, and they use semi-natural sweeteners (sucralose). When we saw this we thought "Yeah!", another great flavor to try. Once. It tastes exactly like liquified green apple Jolly Rancher hard candy. And I like green apple Jolly Ranchers, but not this stuff. I offered some to the 11 year old daughter of a friend, hoping to find it a new home that would appreciate it and free up the cabinet space. Even she couldn't finish it. Buyer beware. Maybe we'll use it in some form for Halloween, it practically glows.

Ta-Da! There you have it. Did you play? Leave me a comment and let me know, so I can come check out your version of Ryan's Song. And go check out Kristine's, and let her know you played. Have a wonderful weekend!


(Thanks for stopping by, Leafgirl77. You're the inspiration! And the rest of you, go check out her stuff, the photography is fantastic!)

21 Comments:

Blogger hemlock said...

You are oh so witty with your 'broken' picture. I guess you've kept it!!! ;)

As for the green apple soda, liquefied green apple jolly rancher doesn't sound like it would make a good drink. Ick.

I played too.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Peanutt said...

Oh, candle wax! I hate when that happens!
I played too!
Have a great day!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Green Apple soda! Interesting!

I played!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Apples & apple pie - everything else that is apple flavored is yucky!! Gently use a razor blade for the wax. And, you really need to hang onto the wrist!!

I played too!!!

9:40 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

I have no idea if it really works,but I've heard if you put a towel over the wax and iron it, the wax will transfer to the towel (I guess use one you don't mind ruining?) :)

That soda just sounds nasty. Thanks for the warning. :)

9:46 AM  
Blogger Kami said...

I've never tried Jones soda! I look at it every time I go to the store, though...

9:49 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm glowing green soda. Cool! Very clever thinking of your wrist. I broke each of mine and different times and I didn't think of it.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

as a former PartyLite consultant who has done that very same thing MANY times (and carpet too) - the simple answer is to place a paper bag over the wax and iron on low, dry heat - the wax should transfer onto the bag. If that doesn't work - email me, I've got some other ones. Make sure the heat is low though because high heat can damage your wood too - it would take a while

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That soda would be gone in 2 days, at my place!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I've heard the iron idea too..never tried it though. The soda sounds blech. I played!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Logophile said...

Love the Jones soda (Jonesin' for a Jones now, thanks!)
but that sounds truly heinous.
Thought about posting a pic of the broken leg and the rod that used to be inside it, great idea!
I played as well.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Random and Odd said...

That first shot looks really good. I like it. I thought it was milk.

We have SO much spilled milk around this place!!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Oh man. I wish I would have thought about my elbow. I broke it, and kept it. Damn.

I played!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Christie E. Little said...

Your poor poor wrist!

And the Sugar Free Green Apple Soda....OH MY! YUCK!

Thanks for stopping by today.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

I always wondered about that Jones soda...

Owie on the wrist...must...be...more...careful...

2:01 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

I played!

2:03 PM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

Hmm I don't think I'd like any soda without sugar.
Good luck getting the wax off, looks like you got some good suggestions.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sugarfree...green...apple? Oh...oops! I think I just vurped a little...ewww...

Good play on the wrist...and on the decision to keep it. It's hard to keep your hand from falling off without the wrist there to hold it onto your arm, you know?

I played too...thanks for popping in!

5:45 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Green Apple Soda...interesting...the candle wax can cup up easily with a razor, but you have to be careful- you don't want to scratch your wood. The same goes for the ironing. I have used ice to make the wax really cold, then have just peeled it off with my fingernail. Porbably not the best way to clean, but it worked at the time!

Good luck! I played, too!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Pissy Britches said...

Candle wax..god..candle wax! I hate candle wax. And that green soda. I saw that yesterday at Target. I started to buy some for the kids. BTW..congrat's on your 3rd pregnancy..you must be so excited!!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Dr. Dave said...

You broke your wrist 3 times! Ouch!

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home