Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Way Back Wednesday: Gone...


"Gone but not forgotten...a more serious tone this week as we share our pictures of ourselves with loved ones we've lost (either through death or lost touch with over the years)"
These are our instructions from The Kept Woman for our photographic time capsule.This ia a picture of me with my mother and her mother, my grandmother, at my wedding. These are the two women who influenced me the most. My mother was one of the funniest and creative people ever. She had a very dry wit, and could do most anything artistic, and do it WELL. I also learned from her that most important of skills: know when to keep your mouth shut because you know you'll never win...even if you are right. She died on December 12, 2001, after a harrowing year-long battle with lung cancer. (Shameless PSA: it's a horrible way to die, if you smoke, stop.) When my parents divorced, my mom moved us back to her hometown to be near her parents. We always lived within 6 blocks of them, sometimes with them. We ate dinner together every night.


My grandmother was known as "Deda" to all her grandchildren. She outlived her husband and both of her children to the ripe old age of 96. She witnessed more social and industrial change than I have time to chronicle here. She was the wisest person, strongest woman and the best cook I have ever known. She died on June 12, 2004 of age related illnesses.

Definitely not forgotten.


9 Comments:

Blogger Kami said...

What a great post. You look a lot like your mother.

10:59 AM  
Blogger The Egel Nest said...

A lot of happy and sad memories in almost all of these posts...it is a bit sad but good to remember loved ones :)

I Played

Bradley
The Egel Nest

11:10 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

What a great post. Thank you for sharing them with us, they both seem like incredible people.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

96, wow!!
I love the first picture with the three of you!!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Sounds like you were surrounded by wonderful women your entire life. What a great post.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

That picture at your wedding with the three of you is such a keepsake to what wonderful woman all three of you were/are!

2:37 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Two beautiful women! Wonderful tribute! And I agree... STOP SMOKING - its a horrible way to die!

I played!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm amazed how much you resemble your mother! At first I thought you were posting one of those age-progression images! She's beautiful.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The birthday boy post IS great. And that picture of you and your mom and grandmother is priceless.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home