Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Mirror, Mirror...

I realize that everyone believes their baby to be the most beautiful. But really, can you argue with me? Go on, try. I dare you.

I read this post and could completely see myself in a few years. To borrow Chris's term, let's talk about an aspect of "boyness". (And yes, I too, believe it is a word; Wikipedia, take note.) It's something I struggle with more and more lately: knowing how rough is too rough, what is the dividing line between boys roughhousing and beating each other up?

In my family it was just me and my brother, and he wasn't the physical type, so I have zero frame of reference. Daddy McAustin has 2 brothers, but they were 4 & 6 years older, and weren't really contemporaries. I don't want my boys to grow up with memories of me as that woman who was always screeching "Stop that!" and "That's too rough!". I do however, want them to make it into adulthood without permanent emotional or physical scars wrought by their supposed loved one. Don't get me wrong, they aren't really violent with one another, and it's never done in a spirit of meanness, but they do play rough together.


Our rule currently is that if someone says "stop", "no", or is obviously NOT having fun anymore, then the play is over. (You know, when they make that wailing sound, and tears are streaming down their face? That usually means the situation has lost its joy for them, and they would like you to quit doing whatever it is you're doing that's making them feel that way.)

I am noticing, however, that as they get older, it is usually me who gets uncomfortable with the situation and make them stop. And them? They are still having a ball and would happily continue without my intervention....until the laughter turns to tears, which it inevitably does.



And so, to go with the theme I've got going here, I present you with the boys' latest version of the little game we here at Casa McAustin like to refer to as "E.R.: The Dress Rehearsal":


...and again here...


The object of the game (apparently) is to see just how fast you can roll/spin/turn/stop abruptly before the hitchhiker flies off, sailing across the deck to land with a sickening thump in a teary heap. Bonus points for blood.

So my question is this: what's your 'line' for rough play?



(How's the font looking on your screen? Too small? Did you know that if you Hit CTRL + mouse wheel it changes the font size on most any web page? Coooool!)

(DOH! Except of course, on MINE!)

5 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

argh the rough play. I always give a few warnings, "Guys." "Someone is going to
get hurt."
"Guys!"
Then I let them go a few more minutes, KNOWING it will end in someone getting hurt because it aLWAYS does.
Then somebody cries or there is a thump. Then I say, "See? STOP".

Aint mommyhood a blast?

6:58 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

And I cannot argue with the beauty of that baby.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Speckledpup said...

Lulu...is gorg-wahhhhhh no doubt about.

The boys....
I had two boys two years apart and then a girl three years after that. They have always played rough and I mean rough. Blood, scars and thrills.
Our rule was if the other person said please stop. That meant stop. I've heard them argue about whether there was a please in there or not...because we all know that sometimes we say stop when we're just having the best of fun...so if you say PLEASE STOP.. then it all stops immediately.
As for making them quit...I let them hurt each other a few times...not permanent life altering hurts, but enough that the hurtee wouldn't let it go that far again and the hurter truly felt bad.
Those three are the tightest siblings I've ever seen. They still at 22, 20 and 17 will fight each other to the ground...however, let someone else even say something to one of them and you've got a pack on your hands.

OH and don't take my advice. I know nothing. God has just been gracious and let me and the kids live this long....we're blessed.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

Lulu is a beautiful baby!!!

Your post made me laugh, I just love their game. My nephew is like that, running, screaming, jumping, falling, boys will be boys I suppose. :)

12:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your baby is beau -t- ful!

Stop twice means stop! My boy and girl will rough house like that and it always ends in tears. Live and learn.

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home