Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Way Back Wednesday:All Hail All Hallows Eve!


It's Wednesday, and that means that it's time for Mama Duck's version of photographic "rear window". This week's theme (of course) is Halloweens of the past.

When I was little I dressed as a witch every.single.year. without fail. I attribute this to the ease of the costume, as well as a 'face your fear' kind of thing.
A little history.
When I was a child my doctor lived down the street from us. His house was this huge Spanish style manse set very far back on what seemed to be a massive amount of land to my childish eyes. Dr. Lancaster was a very friendly man who always seemed in a good mood. (Upon reflection I think he may have had a fondness for remedies of the ;)liquid variety ;)recalling his florid complexion.) I will never forget how he came to my aid by ripping into the incompetent intern in the ER after he set my broken wrist incorrectly. And I never held against him the fact that I had to go his office twice each week and be wrestled to the table for completely useless allergy shots. But I digress...

No, what intrigued me about Dr. Lancaster was his wife, and her obsession with Halloween. Now there was the perfect Halloween witch, which she played to the hilt. She had that long seventies one-length black hair, and a vaguely exotic look about her. This was a woman no one ever saw - except for Halloween. And she went all out: costume, decorations, soundtrack, props, and the best candy in town. It was the perfect house to make haunted, and it scared the hooey out of me - but I loved it, and looked forward to it every year.

Halloween 1973. I was 4, my brother was 6.
Happy Wednesday, everyone!

16 Comments:

Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

LOL, I think everyone was a witch at one point. I played this week!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

What a pretty witch you were!!

I played.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

Very cute! I played too:)

9:01 AM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Too cute...kind of a witch/wizard combo there. I played too.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Tina M said...

Ohh, you were acute witch!!!

I played.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Kami said...

I love it. DARN! I wish I had an old one!!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

How adorable - and a story to go along with it!!! :)

10:48 AM  
Blogger Jana said...

What a cute little witch!

I played too!

11:27 AM  
Blogger Nap Queen said...

I love the moon and star accents! Plus, it looks like you're in the middle of casting a spell :)

1:16 PM  
Blogger Lucky Lum said...

So do you still dress as a witch every year??
happy halloween

2:16 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

That is so sweet! I have to agree with Dunkin...I was kinda thinking Harry Potter when I first saw it. Kinda wizardy!!!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Very cute!

4:02 PM  
Blogger SuburbanMom said...

Too cute!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Dude - I had that witches hat! Too cute!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I love that picture! Love your game face, ready to take on the creepy doc's wife at full kidspeed!

5:04 PM  
Blogger Tee/Tracy said...

That was a cool story about the doctor's house :)

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home