Thursday, December 07, 2006

Santa Baby

We ran into the mall yesterday to pick up some socks for Lulu using some coupons. Predictably, upon entering the store, the Critter NEEDS TO GO TO THE POTTY RIGHT NOW! The store, of course, has no facilities. So we found the nearest public restrooms. Whilst making our mad dash across the mass of retail-shopping humanity, we passed a display for the Santa visit station. Hmmmm, I thought to myself, I wonder what the line's like at this time of day. After our 'business' was done, we exited the store and headed to the Santa spot. They have a train ride set up there to amuse the kiddos while you wait in line. But really? It's just there to part you with your cashola while you're held captive waiting for your turn to spend more money. Or in our case yesterday, the really kind guy who saw the defeated and crushed look on the boys' faces when I told them we couldn't ride the train because I didn't have any cash, and took $4 worth of pity on us in our cash-less state. Thanks, again whoever you were. You are the embodiment of the Christmas spirit.

Santa was on break, and the "will return at" sign with the little clock hands said that he would be back at 1:45.
It was 1:30.
There was NO ONE in line.
SCORE!

It wouldn't have mattered if the kids were dressed in pj's or nekkid as jaybirds, I wasn't passing up that chance. I knew it would probably be one of those "special" memories anyway.....Lulu is super leery of the big guy in red. Any other stranger on the street, grocery store, cars waiting alongside us at stoplights? Hi! How ya doin'?! I love you! Let me blow you some kisses! But Santa? No, no, no. We got lucky and the girl manning the shutter button was quick on the draw:

santa.2006

About 3 seconds later, Lulu went all 'spaghetti kid' on him, fell to the floor, hit her head, and then screamed even louder....until I gave her the oh, so lovely jingle bell bracelet / choking hazzard to play with. (By the way, thanks so much for those Santa, ....my hearing may never be the same.)

At least I didn't have to sit with them like last year.

For $21.99, I have an essential memory of childhood, fodder for the future therapy sessions for everyone involved, and one more 'must' item checked off the Christmas season list.
Whew.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kate Giovinco Photography said...

Oh my goodness I love the pictures with Santa they are always a hoot!

I love Little Bit in both pictures this year and last he just sits there with that stern look on Santa's Lap. I love it.

And the Critter looks like he is trying to get away from Lulu's screaming!

6:34 AM  
Blogger Fabnormal said...

That picture is too funny! I am sure my child will be looking just like Lulu next year with Santa. :)

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a funny picture! I should try to borrow my Brother's picture of my Niece and Nephew from this year. It is HILARIOUS!! My Niece seriously NEVER cries (unless she's really sick) and she is full on RED IN THE FACE SCREAMING in the picture from this year. My SIL framed it because it's *so* funny (not to my Niece at the time I'm sure but in years to come she might find it funny ;-)

3:31 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

That picture is priceless. :) Love it! :)

3:43 PM  
Blogger Kami said...

Lulu looks like she is being tortured. Too funny.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Poor Lulu- heopfully next year Santa won't be so scary!!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Poor kid looks like he is pinching her or something. LOL

Hey, at least you got out of the pic this year, huh?

3:34 PM  
Blogger shirleyhill said...

I don't know, you made Santa look pretty good despite upset kiddos.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG! I love it! She looks so adorable and the other boy looks like he's ready to make a dash in case baby sis comes crashing down on him

3:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the look on Lulu's face...much better than my kids' Santa picture....

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home